Frequently Asked Questions

 Do I have to enroll in ADSAP if I am convicted of DUI?

Yes, within 30 days of the conviction. The South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS) will not consider reinstating your driver’s license until it receives notification of your successful completion of ADSAP.

Where do I enroll in ADSAP?

You must contact any county alcohol drug abuse authority and tell them you need to enroll in ADSAP.

When should I contact ADSAP?

Immediately after you have been convicted for DUI.

What is involved in ADSAP?

After enrolling in the program, you will be assessed to determine the problem areas that most likely contributed to your DUI. Goals will be developed to address these areas. Education and /or treatment services will be provided to help you achieve your goals, thereby helping you reduce your risk of committing another DUI. Successful completion of the program is based on whether you have reduced your risk of committing another DUI.

How long will it take me to complete ADSAP?

Because you will receive services based on individual needs, the time period for completion will vary. Generally, individuals complete ADSAP services by end of their suspension period; however, you must complete within one year of enrollment.

Is there a cost for ADSAP?

Yes. The cost for educational services provided through ADSAP is $500, while the cost for any treatment services required by the program cannot exceed $2,500.

May I drive while I am participating in ADSAP?

First time offenders who meet certain requirements may obtain a provisional license from the SCDPS and may drive on this license for a period not to exceed 6 months, provided they continue to participate in ADSAP. Multiple offenders need to contact the DMV regarding the alternative driver’s license.

What are the requirements for a provisional license?

There are several:

  • You must enroll in ADSAP and make satisfactory progress.

  • You must have had a valid South Carolina license, at the time of your conviction.

  • Your DUI conviction must be the first within a 10 year period.

  • Your license must not be suspended for any other reason.

  • You must provide proof of financial responsibility (SR22 insurance) to the SCDPS.

  • You must pay a $100 fee to SCDPS.

What should I do if I am convicted of DUI in South Carolina but have a driver’s license from another state?

You must enroll in ADSAP and meet the SC ADSAP requirements.

If you have any other questions regarding ADSAP, please call our office at (864)898-5800.